Did you know that Pope Francis loves pizza? In fact, one of the things he misses most now that he is the head of the Catholic Church is going out for a slice without being recognized! In his honor, we asked Chef JP Anglo of Sarsa Kitchen fame to come up with a Pinoy pizza that the Pontiff would love. The Negrense chef eagerly rose to the challenge and came up with “an ultra-thin crust steak pizza with caldereta tomato sauce, caramelized ginamos onions, grilled tomatoes, grilled leeks, roasted bell pepper, pecorino, and quesong puti.” Sounds like a mouthful, right? But it sure is a delicious Filipino-inspired one.
According to Chef JP, he used caldereta sauce because it’s not too sweet and a Filipino sauce at that. He used quesong puti but added pecorino, an Italian cheese, for some saltiness and to complement the onions caramelized in bagoong. The arugula is for some freshness and texture, and the meat, of course, is because “Pope Francis is a carnivore.”
Also Read: The Pope’s Cup of Tea
Here’s the recipe:
- About 100-250 grams of pot roast cut meat
- Caldereta sauce (You can use your family recipe—just make sure there are more tomatoes to your ratio since this is for a pizza sauce.)
- Pecorino cheese
- Quesong puti
- Onions caramelized in bagoong
- Grilled leeks
- Grilled tomatoes
- Roasted bell peppers
- Ready-made thin crust or flat bread
- Chili oil
- Sear the meat in a hot pan with butter, garlic, and lemongrass. Sear 30 seconds per side. Flip 4 to 6 times depending on the thickness of your meat. Touch and feel your meat as it cooks. The firmer the meat is, the more cooked it is.
- Remove from pan and finish off on the grill for some char. Allow meat to rest, then slice thinly.
- Pre-bake your crust or flat bread so that it becomes crispy, but don’t bake it fully.
- Once crispy, add the caldereta sauce on the crust and spread evenly.
- Top with steak slices, grilled leeks, grilled tomatoes, caramelized onions, and roasted bell peppers.
- Top with pecorino cheese and quesong puti.
- Garnish with arugula and brush with chili oil. Serve immediately.